Waiting for a Decision on Child Support

I filed for child support with the Attorney General, but they can’t find the other parent and I’m getting tired of waiting. What should I do?

The Office of the Attorney General provides child support services for thousands of parents in the State of Texas.  Due to the volume of cases they handle, they simply do not have the resources to chase people down.  If you are not sure where the other parent is located and the Attorney General hasn’t had any success in serving them, then it is time to hire an attorney.  The attorney can help you attempt to locate them, can have service attempted at their last known address (even if you know they’re not there anymore), and then request service by publication and have an “ad litem” attorney appointed to represent the other parent. With those steps satisfied, the child support can then be modified with or without the other parent.